Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Unfinished bidness

Assalaamu Alaikum

So I felt like reminiscing and went into my email account and started digging up old emails I sent myself or just reading up on funny/pointless conversations I've had with old friends. One of the emails I came across was one that I sent myself - btw, I only email myself to store documents with attachments or something, not to have conversations... - that contained a little rap that I was working on with my boy. The idea was that it was going to be a kind of duet, where he raps a bar, and I continue or finish it or add my own. "Shootouts"-esque, if you feel me. Just something we wanted to try. It wasn't intended to be lyrically astounding, but more "made by its performance". So I can't really say it was a failed attempt because we never got around to finishing it or even fixing it up to flow, let alone actually performing it. All I saved was the raw AIM version where we did it and sent it to myself. And here it is:


Our ummahs bleeding to death, we will never be whole//
we're walking around aimless no point no goal

Akhi, with talk like that you just killing your soul//,
stabbing your own feet,

We’re digging a hole// ;
cause death is all I see when I look deep in our souls

Gotta get that despair under control, cuz you really don't know//
what's gonna happen tomorrow, just gotta go with the flow//

You wouldn't say that if seen what I’ve seen//
gone around the world been where I’ve been//
how could you say to take everyday as it comes//
when all kids have seen is famine and bombs//

I know what you saying, but you gotta remain calm//

By singing songs and holding arms?//
nah akh we gotta stay strong//
cause its us against the world

That mentalities wrong,//
money is what lets these people sleep well at night,//
we gotta start making millions, and then use it for right

Yea right//money is a bounty already ordained before time//
so u need to shove this type of mentality out of your mind//
the Prophet alaihis salaam feared wealth more than poverty//
wealth isn't what gave the muslims their sovereignty

That’s true but remember that those were the best of people//
a nation the likes of us could never be equal//
let alone start a sequel//

Now that trap is evil//
these people were still people and made an ample example//
footsteps to follow and a blueprint as a sample

Yeah, but its just a great sorrow how we wait for tomorrow to follow,//

But without soul in our game

Or heat in our flame

Our words are just hollow//