Saturday, November 21, 2009

old tales

considering the temporary and volatile nature of harddisks and computers, i used to save my documents that i really wanted to save by emailing them to myself. there is no fool proof solution though, since data becomes corrupted, hard drives fail, computers crash, papers are lost, servers crash, and YAHOO DECIDES TO DELETE YOUR ENTIRE FREAKING EMAIL ACCOUNT FOR NOT LOGGING IN IN 3 MONTHS.

and just like that, a LOT of stuff that i really liked to go back to read (or not read but at least know it was there for old times sake) is gone, from AIM conversations dating back to the 1990s, to hilarious email exchanges, and particularly, a whole LOT of writing.

see, i'm secretly a huge nerd, and i was an even bigger one many years ago, especially during the years i was in hifdh. my life consisted of going to qur'an class, not doing any school work (i wasted my mom's homeschool program money), and WRITING. i used to be a member of a forum in which people would create different characters and write stories about them and interact with other characters. i was actually really good, and it helped my writing a lot, and even though it might be classified as lame, i had some good times writing some pretty cool stories. i saved these stories to my yahoo accounts: gangstaeskimo, and dragonsworn00 (lol), but now both of those are gone, and those forums do not have archives that old anymore, and i'm pretty sure i will never see a lot of it again.

today though, i decided to look through some old CDs i had lying around, and lo and behold, one of them had one of the last stories i wrote. i'm thinking about posting it up here, as well as saving it somehow so i don't lose it anytime soon, and i'm gonna go look for other CDs that might have other remnants of my past, one that was far superior to my current state in its literary richness.

4 comments:

Rhythmic Explosion said...

When I write something I save it in a billion places in fear of losing it. I'll e-mail it, blog it, write it on paper etc etc etc.

Looking forward to the stor.

Anonymous said...

http://backupmytweets.com/

ShakirSahab said...

they make you pay for that?

Komal said...

so THATS where that random convo u emailed me came from. anyhow, that really stinks.