Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pen vs Paper

Stuff from a couple semesters ago:

Pen

Sometimes I gotta get loose for the part,
Stretch out my limbs, blow a little on the tip,
Give a small tap, take a tiny sip, remove my cap,
And then I start to start, doodle (do-a) little bit of art,
Get my blood flowing like ink through my heart!
That was a little hint, but incase you haven’t figured it,
I’m your pal, pen, and this paper here’s my nemesis!
Been around since genesis, before sins and sicknesses
Weaknesses and wickedness, and you shall be my witnesses
Because it’s quite simple, that paper’s not my equal,
My audience be fickle, I influence the people!
So now you see the way I see, me, the clear superior,
At will I paint plain white sheet to black exterior,
At will I scratch and bleed, impose my will and soul true,
Paper sits helpless; push hard enough I cut through,
Lean and tall, strong and all, truly the best,
Now watch as I carve my name on Paper’s chest…

Paper

My ancestors are dried leaves; I am born from the ancient trees,
Lofty pillars great in height, severed to their knees,
With sap and splinter do they bleed, still gracious to their seed,
Bear fruit for Axe to eat and through this sacrifice succeed!
And in their wake I breathe, thus a truly blessed being.
And through this history I live, I feel, I see, I read
They claim we’re fragile; paper-thin, and thus that we are weak,
I’d say we’re gentle, flexible, durable during times of need,
Not the bursting rage of inferno flames, destroying its own seed,
But the water that can flow yet crash, that undoes fire’s deed,
The sweet caress of a blistering wind, when it donates its breeze,
The gentle lap of wave on shore from the deepest currents of the seas,
Water over Earth, and Wind upon Fire; a Strength not easily perceived
And so I am of this legacy, a proud member of this creed,
Yet humble in my way to life, sacrifice my services to need,
Greater still like our folks of old, making into Books that people read,
Or even when the pen strikes through, tearing wastefully with greed…
This is how we lead.

3 comments:

Rhythmic Explosion said...

very very very very cool.

Masha'Allah, really liked your choice of words and the way it flowed.

Nomad said...

Just when I thought it might be impossible to write about a pen and paper, you do it.

mashAllah indeed bro. Answer your txt foo!

ShakirSahab said...

yo i was swamped all day. i'll hit you up later today tho (since its past midnight)